Tuesday, December 22, 2015

MTHFR

I find it super fitting that my latest diagnosis is for a mutation in the MTHFR gene, because my first thought when I see that abbreviation is "motherfucker." Which pretty much sums up my gut reaction to every single piece of reproductive news we have heard this year.

Essentially, having a MTHFR mutation affects folic acid use and metabolism by the body. I have a heterozygous mutation, which means that of the two copies of the genes that exist in my body (one from my mom, one from my dad), one copy is normal, and the other copy is mutated. From what I have read, this means that the body functions influenced by this mutation operate at 60-70% capacity. If you have a homozygous mutation, or a mutation in both copies of the MTHFR gene, your functioning is significantly lower. From my reading, it is important that your homocysteine levels are checked in conjunction with your MTHFR genes, as MTHFR transfers homocyteine into another compound in the body (I can't remember the details), but its common for your homocysteine levels to be elevated, which can lead to cardiovascular problems and body inflammation.

This sounds pretty scary but the treatment is actually pretty easy. For me, all of my other values were normal, so I just have to supplement with a prescription called Folgard. Its a high dose of folic acid, with some B vitamins thrown in. For individuals with a more severe mutation or abnormal values, methylfolate and B vitamins are prescribed, however, your lab values should be carefully monitored to make sure that you don't go from under-treating to over-treating as these vitamins come with significant side effects when on inappropriate doses.

So, another diagnosis to add to the list and I haven't had even a fraction of the tests that Mr. New RE wants to prescribe. If I had a dollar for each infertility diagnosis...I could pay for an entire IVF cycle! 

Source































































































1 comment:

  1. Dr. James herbal medications will cure any inch of your Fibroid, OK. When taken Dr. James herbal mix medicine to cure your Fibroid and any other Infertility, You must not be far from your home, because it will make you visit the restroom often in passing out the Fibroid gradually Thanks to Dr. James herbal mixed medicine for his help in shrinking off my long term uterine fibroid. I had pelvic pain, heavy menses, and swelling. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with fibroid and advised to go for surgery. I was scared and I went online for more info and remedy for fibroid. Luckily, I found Dr. James's natural medication for fibroid. I reached out to him, and he prepared me with his herbal mix medicine for fibroid shrinking, and I used the medicine as he prescribed for me and my fibroid disappeared totally and is now a year plus since I got cured. His herbal medicine is easy to drink with no side effects.… He also specializes in providing solutions in any of these spiritual gynecology diseases affect human existence such as:
    1 fibroid, asthma, ALL STDs, Urine tract infection
    2 weakness of man organ
    3 infections of all kinds (yeast infection)
    4 blockages from the fallopian tube
    5 cysts. From the ovaries
    6 unpleasant smell from the vagina
    7 irregular menstruation, menopause
    8 infertility for easy Conception. 9. HIV/AIDS, GENITAL HERPES VIRUS, ALZHEIMER'S/DEMENTIA.
    10.skin diseases, Toilet infection, and bad body odor……. Etc..
    11. Watering sperm (low sperm count) is not able to get a woman pregnant.
    Simply contact the spiritualist on (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com) to get his Herbal Medication to cure your diseases and put yourself on a motherhood side of life.
    (No more adoption, with DR JAMES your problem will be solved and you will have your child with ease.
    Contact Dr. James on his Email at (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com).your solution home!  

    ReplyDelete